Quiz Queen

something absolutely hilarious and unbelievable happened today....

before that, let me recap a bit. i'm already neck deep into my current project which for some mysterious reason, simply refused to work. i skipped lunch almost everyday to work on it fervently because the dateline is looming *gulp* right after Hari Raya. as if that is not bad enough, i was assigned to another project due next monday! on top of it all, my boss signed me up for an R8C MCU seminar held at Cititel Hotel (which is today)... he must have mistaken me for Superwoman or something.

to be honest, this MCU seminar nearly bored me to tears, it's even worse than the one i had in Singapore. i learnt a new set of jargons today - on-chip ring oscillators, tiny microcontroller, A\D converter, watchdog timer etc. why does my boss likes to torture me this way? as usual, i counted only three females among the 90 odd attendees. male-dominated industry is so not fun because i don't get to "kap lui" to kill time. towards the end of the seminar, we were given a multiple-choice quiz on R8C MCUs... all the b-o-r-i-n-g questions like:

"What is the nominal frequency for high-speed R8C oscillator?" huh, wat's nominal?
"How many bit is the data bus of R8C MCU?" i bought a crocheted cardi from Seed during lunch break
"What is the difference of timer speed between R8C11,13 and R8C12,14?" err... long enough to make a difference i guess

oohkay. some of the answers i recalled from memory. some i just tembak blindly hahaha.

then the organizer announced my name as one of the 3 full-scorers, along with 2 other guys. my jaw literally hit the carpet... so did the others i think. cos this time i didn't even make an effort to feign my way into a technical conversation. this kinda trick just loses its novelty after a while. and my grand prize? an R8C MCU starter kit. everyone was eyeing at it jealously because the MCU company is selling the kit for 150 dollars each right across the hall.

erm... it's kinda difficult for me to get psyched bout it. i mean, what exactly am i suppose to do... have fun debugging? as the organizing company is from Singapore, i went over to them after seminar ended to clarify the word "dollars". i asked hopefully, "When you said dollars, did you mean Singapore dollars?"

the organizer laughed incredulously and said, "No, i meant US dollars."

$_$

*whee* i'm rich!!! do you reckon i can sell it to my company? technically, it belongs to me right? hopefully i would have enough money to salvage this



...plus a few more minor "scratches" on the front bumper.

Comments

hueylyn said…
muahahhaa ur sooo hilarious!!!
hmm... maybe u could trick ur manager by saying that the starter kit will be 'very' useful in future projects. Then you casually offer to sell it to the company at a lower price? >:)
(Remember to look like u dun really wana part with the kit and that you fully intend to bring it home and slowly debug it!)

Popular posts from this blog

Is love compromising?

Vanity Fair

My BFF gave me a Screamin' Orgasm